Re: Re: Big spirit dudes

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 22:05:10 +1200

James Turner:

>The main mechanic for getting spirits is spirit combat (it's the only one
>used in the HW book although other ways of getting a fetish are implied).
>When you are using this you why care if the spirit is hostile or not.

But friendly ways are easier as you don't have to kick the crap out of it. Which would you rather do? Talk to a spirit and convince it to enter your fetish or fight it?

>Maybe spirit combat is a bad name for it and it should really be called "get
>spirits to do what I want".

No. The other methods are clearly described:

         "Some spirits must be overcome in combat, some may be
         bargained with, and some will respond best to flattery
         and grovelling.  Some have specific requirements for
         manifesting on the physical plane, while others might
         friendly to a particular tradition and just need to be
         contacted".

I don't see that as saying to get a spirit into your fetish, it needs to be overcome by spirit combat. Nor do I see the other methods of gaining a spirit as being undefined.

> >I do not believe that binding a fire spirit means that all
> >fire spirits of whatever kind are now within your tradition.
> >That would be the equivalent of a RQ shaman arguing that he
> >can command fireblade spirits because he already knows
> >extinguish.

>But you can get a generic fire spirit can't you?

I don't think so. I haven't seen any generic spirit at all.

>This may be more of a hw-rules question but I thought that fetishes needn't
>be as specific as Flaming Arrow fetish.

Well, the following example implies that they are:

         "Koschei has several fetishes for several spirits.  When he
         needs to fly, he can invoke his Flying Wind Spirit.  When he
         needs to hunt, he can invoke his Run Silently Spirit, and his
         Arrow Guide spirit.  When confronted by Darkness, he has a
         hate darkness spirit".

> >But entering the spirit plane near a place of Great Spirits affinity
> >_is_ entering the realm of that Spirit. It would be silly to enter
> >the spirit plane near Malia's Stool and somehow not enter her realm.

>What happens then if a shaman draws his circle in a leafy glade, under a big
>boulder, next to a running stream and a blazing camp fire?

It depends on what place he's trying to enter IMO.

> >>Bears are common in Sartar,
> >They are?

>The point being bears are not rare, fantastic creatures that no-one has any
>real knowledge about. So looking for a bear spirit wouldn't be as hard as
>looking for a three-arsed wombat spirit, which certainly would require
>further knowledge and research.

Nevertheless they are not common beasts and I do not think that a Sartarite easily find such a spirit in his own spiritual neck of the woods.

> >Hunting in a spirit wood? Rather dangerous I'd think. What
> >happens if he encounters the Wild Hunt, the Lady of the Wild,
> >or any one of the terrifying denizens in those woods?

>No more dangerous than hunting a real bear and comming across, enemy
>clansmen, trolls, tusk riders, telmori, aldryami etc.

On the spirit plane, it is _immensely_ more dangerous. People would live there if it weren't so.

--Peter Metcalfe