RE: Re: Womens in Loskalm

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 18:25:49 +0100

Philip "Juan-El" Hibbs wrote:

>> Uh, wot? I don't think I have *anything* >> about St Elleish on my site.

> I searched on google.com for elleish, and got
> http://www.btinternet.com/~Nick_Brooke/Malkioni/chivalry.htm
> for the third hit.

That reference in full:

The Fair Unknown

The potential for nepotism is obvious. However, one counterbalance is that any recognised master of his caste's skills (a village elder, sergeant-at-arms, village priest or minor lordling) can sponsor any candidate. Thus, if "anti-establishment" figures can get their act together, they can strive to elevate "one of them" to the caste which (for most practical purposes) runs the Castle Coast.

(In a literary parallel, this would be like one of the "Fair Unknowns" or "Peasant Knights" of Arthurian literature arriving at court, to the general scorn and merriment of the assembled worthies. Women would have a similar route "in" - I doubt the founders of the system expected to allow this, but I'm sure devotees of Saint Elleish will have had a fine old time prising open the glass ceiling...)

Cheers, Nick