Re: Re: followers; integration

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 13:05:43 +0200

David & Peter :

> >> [if you integrate an ancestor] You end up like Norman Bates IMO.
>
> >I'm not so sure. We don't have an example (the Grazers don't
> >integrate ancestors), but it's quite conceivable that you simply are
> >"as brave as Drosox" or "as good with words as Elebel" if you've
> >integrated that aspect of them.
>
> But once you integrated them (and you can only integrate them
> once), they cease to have a separate existence and can't be
> contacted by anybody else.

Until you die.

I think that *much* depends on whether your Magical Tradition is Inclusive or Exclusive. Baboon shamans consider their Ancestors to be part of the Tribe ; and while they don't Integrate them, they don't consider them to have so much separate existence (They Are Us : We Are They) as a Kolating would consider the Storm Spirits to enjoy.

I think that it would be a bad idea to encourage a One True Shamanism approach, beyond any necessary cohesion of HW rules issues.

> And it's more of "has Drosox's
> bravery" or "has Elebel's way with words" than the weaker forms
> you suggest. That's why I don't think that ancestors as a
> general rule are integrated.

Another solution : perhaps "Drosox' bravery" is one of Drosox' Integrated Spirits, that his descendant can magically inherit/wrest/Integrate from his Ancestor ?

> I would instead prefer to channel ancestor (described in
> Heroforming) instead.

Another good solution.

cheers,

Julian Lord