Re: Re: Big spirit dudes

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 11:46:26 +1200

Julian Lord:

> > I could accept something like "after death,
> > our ancestors split off from our core self" but that to me would
> > imply that all other integrated spirits also split off as it is
> > extremely unlikely that a culture has two integration techniques.

>I'm sorry, but I don't understand this.

Why would Ancestors split off at death and not the other integrated spirits?

> > >Come to think of it, Ancestral shamanism is poorly represented by
> > >the GL World-View. It should probably be a Borderline magic,
> > >half-way between shamanism & theism ...

> > Just because you worship something doesn't make it theistic.

>Not what I'm saying.

Then what parts of ancestor worship look theistic to you? Worship is not a theistic act.

> > I do accept a contest in trying to persuade
> > the spirit but this could be something as unstressful as singing
> > the right song.

>I agree. But then, that also could be seen as a form of Spirit
>Combat from some POVs, no ?

True, but I'm using Spirit Combat to mean the use of Spirit Combat the HW skill. If he was Singing, then he would use Sing.

--Peter Metcalfe