Re: integration

From: Jeff Kyer <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 00:28:29 -0000

> And eminently wasteful in that only one talent could be gained
> from the integrated ancestor.
>
> > > I would instead prefer to channel ancestor (described in
> > > Heroforming) instead.
>
> >This is a tradition secret, so it's likely to be quite rare.
>
> It's about as common as Secret Knowledge is in most societies.

Actually, it may be more common. Unlike a theist, who requires knowing *all* the cult affinities at 1w2, a hsunchen can learn their 'secret' by getting 1w in 3 of the talents provided by intergrated spirits.

Its possible that secrets provided by other traditions are equally usable -- the one provided by the Ostin The Burner, for instance. I am not sure however, at what level that spirit cult would provide the Secret -- though all the people who have the Breathe Fire ability qualify under 3 1w talents but not under having things at 1w2...

Which would be easier done than the theist secret, certainly.

> It exists among the Pentans ("[Kargzant's] elite followers
> can transform themselves into blazing fiery horses" Glorantha
> Intro p163) and probably the Praxians too (as in Waha/Jaldon).
>
> >great-grandson is free to integrate the original Drosox.
>
> There's nothing to show that integration vanishes after death
> and I think it unlikely as it would mean that ancestors and
> other ghosts will have no magic. Not that it makes much
> difference to your example - the great-grandson integrates
> Drosox the younger who is now the same as Drosox the original.

This would create an ever-increasing Drosox with each generation (I am
Drosox of Borg, you will be assimilated!)

> >Also note that to a hsunchen, it's quite likely that the totem
> >spirits you're integrating are in fact a distant ancestor...
>
> That is a good point. But it doesn't quite seem to fit into
> the notion of an ancestor as in the spirit of your dead
> grandfather.
>
> --Peter Metcalfe

And in the case of the hsunchen, they DO practice intergration as a matter of course. With the 'secret' of an Ancestor tradtion being learned when three talents (or fetishes?) are gotten to 1w, then Incarnation is readily done....

Jeff

"..the black flies, the little black flies. Always the blackfliesnomatterwhere you go..."