Re: Initiates and time

From: Jeff Kyer <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 00:51:51 -0000

I sense a lot of mechanistic stuff comming up... Sigh.

> initiate, 10h 40min for a devotee, each day.
> Let us say an Orlanhti spends the whole of Windsday in worship, 16
hours.
> That leaves us with ((5:20 x 7 -16) / 6 =) 3h 30min the other days.
> I cannot really imagine the ordinary heortling spending more than
one full hour
> absorbed in prayer each day. That still leaves 2h 30min, for what?

It says in the HW rules that they do things which are helpful to the god.

This could be - Prayer. Invisible God types spend a LOT of time doing
that. Training others in the ways of the cult. Helping support the priest -- he needs his field ploughed too, y'know. Guarding the Temple to keep out wicked un-believers. Training the youngsters in combat arts (for the resident Humakti or combat oriented Orlanthi)

Doing Things The God Favors. Any hunting would be auspicious to Odayla or Yinkin. Seducing someone new would be pleasing to Yinkin (as would be sleeping on top of a warm stove)

Perhaps a god-talker needs an escort on heroquest or some strong arms to haul something heavy down to the big temple in Runegate.

Perhaps the resident priest needs you go and pick up some sacrificial sheep from the Cyrlings -- they have the best sheep afterall.

> And what does the local temple do with all this potential work
force?

I think I've mentioned some of the things above. And prayer for an hour is not uncommon -- Think that you probably have a holy day weekly
and that's 8 hours there.

> Let us take what I think is a rather small clan, 500 people.
Approximately 60%
> will be able-bodied adults, and roughly half of these will be
women.
The
> proverbial all, 85%, of the men worship Orlanth.

Hmmm. Number crunching.

> That gives the temple around 125 initiates, each spending 5h 20min
every

> day worshipping. Let us consider if one of these hours are spent
maintinging
> the physical temple, a good act of devotion. This makes 875
man-hours of work

Things that support the god are considered to be appropriate, as is mentioned in HW.

> By this I would assume that even a "small" Orlanthi shrine is quite
impressive..
&#92;
&#92;
> What I really suppose is that most of this time spent "in worship"
is spent
> working and doing other things. It would otherwise have rather
ridiculous
> consequences for the whole economy and daily life among the
heortlings.

> And why does everybody have to be initiates? Okay, lay members are
God
> Learner idea. But why can they not be communal worshippers? (Who

Guard duty also counts. That sucks up a LOT of time. Especially if we want a 24 hour guard. The time spent at Sacred time is 100% commitment, afterall.

2 guards at a time for 3 shifts is a wonderful 48 right there. And what about those wacky Devotees who are weaponthanes? THEY get to count their time guarding the rest of the clan....

Plus time spent on patrol or guarding the herds or raiding.... It all
adds up pretty rapidly.

Recall, in THIS time and place, faith is not a strong factor in one's life. In almost all other times, matters of faith were often the major concern the populace.... One hour a day is a very small price for actual worship or ceremonies.

nly (!) spend
> 10%, 1h 30min, a day worshipping.)
>
> In my Glorantha I think I will replace "Most Heortling adults are
initiated or
> devoted..." with "Many Heortling adults are...". (HW:RiG p. 45).

Almost all Heortlings are initiated. Only 1 in 4 of these are devotees and many of those are god-talkers.

Jeff