Re: Integration

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 08:31:13 -0000

> First off, I'll quote from the HW FAQ which is up at:
> http://www.glorantha.com/hw/hw_faq.html
>
> ::When you integrate a spirit, it is a permanent part of you -- it
> ::is not like possession

> So all the interpretations about integrated spirits being in a
> symbiotic relationship or that integration is merely the spirit
> teaching you the integrated talent are not what is described by
> the HW Integration mechanism.

True, I knew that when I attempted to find a 'back door'...

> Wulf Cobertt:

> >The important idea is to allow spirits to voluntarily (with the
> >assistance of a shaman) split off an ability.
>
> I won't make the obvious comment about what the FAQ says about
> this,

I didn't see anything specific in the above quote, but no matter, I don't disagree with the sentiment.

>but I do want to address the implications of the above
> suggestion. If the spirits would voluntarily split off an
> ability, then why does the only detailed animist culture not
> permit the integration of ancestors?

Well, firstly I wouldn't say the Grazers (who I assume are the ones you are talking about) are all that detailed, so there may be more to come. Secondly, they do not rely on Ancestor Worship as much as many other cultures. And thirdly, as I said, I know it doesn't fir the rules as written, I was simply trying to find a way to allow Integration of Ancestors, should it seem necessary to have such a mechanism.

So, what would YOU do if a Shaman achieved a Complete Victory when attempting to bind an Ancestral Spirit (by whatever means, Spirit Combat or otherwise)? Just ignore it and give him 3/day uses? Imprison the Ancestor in a fetish?

Wulf