Re: Re: Integration

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 13:57:32 PDT

Wulf Corbett:
Me> >Why do you want to integrate your ancestors considering that

> >it takes away their individuality permanently and is extremely
> >wasteful?

>I don't. My entire point was to avoid doing so. Did you read my

After I pointed out that HW integration does a spirit, you persist in trying to find some way in which an ancestor could be integrated without any moral qualms. Which begs the question: why is it so necessary to integrate ancestors? Or rather why do you feel the need to warp integration into a form of ancestral spell teaching instead of making a new mechanism altogether?

> >The RQ3 method of learning spirit spells could only be performed
> >with special spell spirits, _not_ ancestors or ghosts.

>No, but this was the ONLY method of learning Spirit spells in RQ, so
>it's the only past example either of us has as a basis.

Wrong. There are other methods for learning spells to and from spirits. One even resembles the ancestral spell teaching that you mooted.

> >You are not integrating the ancestor into a fetish. He merely
> >inhabits the fetish, medicine bundle etc until he's needed.

>You are if you get a Complete Success. Unless you have another
>suggestion?

Why should a complete success change anything for persuading an ancestor to inhabit a fetish until he is needed? Merely because the rules say it's possible to do this (or to integrate him) at such a level of success does not mean that it is socially acceptable.

> >You are redefining the very concept of Integration. As a result,
> >the reasons for most traditions not to integrate their ancestores
> >cease to exist.

>So? They decide not to, or do not know the techniques. I am trying to find
>a specific method, you are applying it universally.

But you aren't finding a specific method, you are changing the definition of integration.

--Peter Metcalfe