Re: Re: Integration

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 21:32:19 +1200

Wulf Corbett:

>I think I now see where we are at cross-purposes... you seem to have
>interpreted the rule (I don't have my books handy, so this is an
>approximate quote) "...with a Complete Success you may Integrate the
>spirit..." as meaning "you can Integrate if you want to, but you
>don't have to", whereas, there being no form of alternative given, I
>have taken it to mean "This is the point when you Integrate". So,
>given that A) you don't Integrate and b) you don't embody into a
>fetish (essentially the same as Integration), what alternative do you
>see? Ignore the Complete Success and treat as a 3/day fetish?

The rules you quote require the use of Spirit Combat for integration and for fetish binding. I do not think that a shaman seeking to ally an ancestor for a task would use Spirit Combat. I do not believe a complete victory in using persuasion against a cantankerous ancestor, say, would allow the shaman to integrate or embody the ancestor. If he did get a complete victory, he could get a ally or follower for the duration of the adventure or he could have the ancestor give the shaman an important piece of information as a bonus. I would to allow the narrator's some discretion or control over what happens rather than have hard-and-fast rules.

--Peter Metcalfe