Re: [was] 2 sword fighting [is] metalworking

From: Henrix <henrix_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 00:33:47 +0200

Transplanting this to HeroWars as it is no longer a rules issue. At least sometimes I try to walk on the right side of this thin line :-/

On Wed, 05 Jul 2000, KYER, JEFFREY wrote:
> True. But an iron work is much similar. And both are fixed constant
> installations. The problem with iron is the heat required, which
> requires charcoaling or, better yet, coke. Coal and wood just won't do.

Ah, I must have missed my English ability test. By coal I mean charcoal. Basically we don't have any other kind here in Sweden ;-) (We differentiate the other way round, and call it stenkol, stone-coal.)

They can be quite similar, but the charcoal expenditure is much (much!) higher if working iron. And charcoaling takes quite a lot of work.

> > I participated in building a bronze oven and using it a couple of years ago, as
> > part of my archaeology studies. That was quite fun, and it did not take too
>
> Impressive! At least yours didn't burn down. =)

We had a good instructor. He has probably burnt down a lot of ovens ;-)

> Bronze is copper-tin, usually. The tin is what gives it the hardness and
> strength. And tin is very hard to find with ancient mining methods.
> The tin mines of Spain were a prime objective in the Punic and
> Luistitanian wars. Haven't heard anyone using lead historically, except
> perhaps for ornamentation. Lead is wierd stuff and often too dense to
> meld well with something light like copper.

Still, if I remember correctly, it was used. The only reference I found right now was that it sometimes was added (in Late Bronze Age) to improve casting qualities, though. So you may be right. I have been mulling over Gloranthan applications of leaden bronze, but have no real ideas, beyond that trolls probably like it.

Do you (or of course anyone else) have any ideas on how the metalworking in Glorantha is done? I am, in particular, thinking of whether Bronze/Hu-metal is cast and Iron/Ur-metal forged, as on Earth. Would not forging be an extremely rare skill, as it only would be used for ironworking? In the old, pre-HW, days it was finding the Iron which was the main hindrance to getting Iron armour.
Perhaps the main quest should be to find a good smith capable of working iron!

On Wed, 05 Jul 2000, Mikko Rintasaari wrote:
> I have a silverbronze arrowhead, that a local historical reenactment
> group has made. Silverbronze is really hard, and would work nicely for
> arrowheads and daggerblades.

That is quite a nice idea for Orlanthi! Surely capable of wounding those lousy Telmori!
Ouch! I just realized silver is, according to HW:RiG p.233, associated with the Moon. Both Orlanth A. _and_ Yanafal Tarnils gives Enchant Silver. An error? Or is Silver actually part of the Middle Sky and thereby contested?

--
Henrix