Defiant Cults(?)

From: Martin Dick <martin.dick_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 23:12:38 +1000

So I've just read the Defiant Cults article on the Glorantha website and it states that Urox/Storm Bull is a transcendent being which lives outside of Time, so that it can have both a Spirit Aspect and a God Aspect. So who else fits into this category?

Orlanth/Little Brother? Both are well described as existing in past literature, obviously Orlanth more than Little Brother, but we also know that Orlanth worship occurs amongst the Praxians from Cults of Prax (ranging from 1% in the Sables to 16% in the Impalas - even the Morocanth are at 3%). So is this misapplied worship or is it another example of a Defiant Cult?

Eiritha/Uralda? Misapplied Worship, Defiant Cult or are the spirit and the goddess totally different beings, despite the obvious parallels? Especially when we see the name similarity between Urox/Uralda. Clearly the Paps would be the equivalent of the Eternal Battle.

Gagarth/Wild Hunter?

Yelmalio/Bright Treasure? 15% of the Sables and 13% of the Impalas worship Yelmalio in Cults of Prax, so who are they worshipping now? Is he another defiant cult?

The key thing to me, is that I really don't see much that makes Urox/Storm Bull particularly different to these other gods/spirits, so maybe defiant cults are not quite as rare as initially thought or am I misreading all of this?

Martin