Re: Sample Gloranthan names

From: Jarec Basham <jarec_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 13:55:35 -0000

> Ignoring the Celts is a choice, not an inevitability. I think it's
> bad choice myself, and one which the evidence and sources neither
> encourage nor support.
>
> Regards, Nick

Agreed, but I see the Celts as one of many potential sources. If the Orlanthi are like Celts it is because their environment and beliefs are similar enough to create a semi parallel culture, not a direct copy.

For one thing I find it difficult to equate the idea of one Orlanthi = all Orlanthi. Even Celtic culture was non uniform in either region or time. As an example, even slight local variations can make the difference between migratory or static communities within any cultural group. Sure some, maybe most Orlanthi equate well to Celts, but many groups will not. But they will still be Orlanthi if only because the core of their belief system remains largely consistent to the cultural norm.

Jarec