Re: Orlanthi; stores

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 10:28:43 -0700

Jarec

>I find it difficult to equate the idea of one Orlanthi = all Orlanthi.

There are at least 4 distinct Orlanthi cultures (Heortling, Ralian/Alakoring, Fronelan, Umathelan). The problem is that most of the time most of us use "Orlanthi" when we should say "Heortling."

Clearly there are many commonalities between these (the Heortlings now use Alakoring tribes, they all worship the Storm pantheon) but there are plenty of differences (most notably in the Umathelans, who are so remote and wacky that many people don't even list them as Orlanthi).

And these all have subcultures (e.g. East Ralios and Lankst are significantly different).

>maybe most Orlanthi equate well to Celts, but many groups will not.

In my game, the Ralian Orlanthi are more Celtic than the norm, while the Heortlings are more Viking than the norm. I haven't played in Fronela, so I'm not sure how to characterize them. The Umathelans are just weird, but they still worship the Lightbringers.

Guy

>I still can't find the Glorantha book in Dallas game stores, even
>the ones that carry "Hero Wars"; it might be a long time before they
>get around to those

It's always worth making a point of asking (this helps the stores realize they should order it, and gets the product flowing through the pipeline). Stores are several levels removed from Issaries, and sometimes news doesn't get to them.

Speaking of game stores, A Sharp is still looking for places that carry (or have carried) King of Dragon Pass. Send it to <kodp_at_...>.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein