Re: Defiant Cults(?)

From: Jonas Schiött <jonas.schiott_at_...>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 01:41:53 +0200

Martin Dick:

>So I've just read the Defiant Cults article on the Glorantha
>website and it states that Urox/Storm Bull is a transcendent
>being which lives outside of Time, so that it can have both
>a Spirit Aspect and a God Aspect.

When this section first came up on the Issaries site, I thought it said "Deviant Cults". I still think that might be a better way of putting it. ;-)

>So who else fits into this
>category?

Not Orlanth and Humakt, it seems. There's a short document about Little Brother and Death Man that I forgot where I read - probably GTA member's site... anyway, it treats them as textbook cases of misapplied worship.

Personally, I'm not sure if I think the misapplied worship rules are such a good idea to begin with, but let's get back on topic...

In general, there don't seem to be a whole lot of these beings. The one thing those we've seen have in common is a power base that is either outside the three big otherworlds, or overlaps them all. An example of the later is Kyger Litor, who is in the Underworld.

Trickster is (of course) a difficult case: there are obviously both theistic and animistic Tricksters. Either this is an example of how he doesn't follow any rules, or Trickster is actually more of a concept than a being.

Jonas Schiött
Göteborg