Mori Telmori

From: Clay Luther <claycle_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 18:04:15 -0500

> From: "Peter Metcalfe" <metcalph_at_...>
> Subject: Re: Telmori: They Ain't *That* Bad/The Telmori Foundling
>
> Clay Luther
>
> >After Sartar, the Telmori changed their habits somewhat. They stayed
> >within (or at least were never seen leaving) the hunting grounds (the
> >Dogbone and Wolf Hills) Sartar granted to them. Apparently, they became
> >fairly benign neighbors since they "never again took humans or livestock
> >from the other tribes (KoS 135)", though they did >sometimes range far when
> >hunting.
>
> i.e. they breach other clan's hunting grounds without permission?
> I've feuded for less in King of Dragon Pass.

I think the point was, I believe, that no one saw them do this poaching (I presume that poaching had been witnessed in the past). So, although KoS proclaims that the Telmori frequently traipsed into other tribes' hunting grounds, "[they] were never seen outside their own territory if they did not wish to be seen." One can assume that they certainly would not wish to be seen while poaching.

I suppose with the lack of visible proof that Telmori had poached your lands, you could resort to divination for answers...

One might argue that they were fighting with their dual nature -- their obedience to Sartar's oath and their baser, chaotic, natures. It appears that they managed to keep their wits about them and avoid any large, messy confrontations with neighboring tribes from 1535 to 1603ish. I don't doubt that all sorts of inter-clan problems occured, ala KoDP, during this time.

> >Additionally, a Telmori hero, Kostajor, rescued Prince Jarosar from the
> >Battle of Dwarf Ford. His presence at the battle implies that the
> >Telmori joined the other tribes to help the Aldachuri against the >Lunars
> >(1565, KoS 139).
>
> AFAIK they only joined because of their personal (doglike?)
> relationship to the Royal House and not because they were
> called on for service like the other tribes. There's a

I agree. Reading between the lines, I think its very clear that the Sartar Telmori definitely accepted an obedient role to the Sartar royal family. When the royal family is strong, the Telmori are faithful allies and good neighbors. When the royal family is weak or dissolute, the Telmori become wild and aggressive. I think it is also fairly clear that the royal family definitely relies on the Telmori for muscle (Starbrow's rise to power, for example).

--
Clay
claycle_at_...