Book size

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 09:28:59 +0100

On the Glorantha Digest David Dunham wrote:
> I attempted on many occasions to sway [Greg] about the biggest
> presentation problem [of the HW rules] (the small size of the books).

I'd like to support the choice of small page sizes. Small pages does not mean layout has to be bad.

I think, ironically, the problem with the layout is DTP software. In the old days, one might have called in an expert; now everyone thinks they can do it themselves, even if they can't. Book design is a skill.

Issaries Inc. need to employ someone skilled, or become more skilled themselves. Many people have complained about the poor table of contents and lack of index. Automatically producing a ToC is a one click job, if you've marked up your text properly (used style sheets). Similarly, indexing is assisted by technology. I do both daily, and my job is not (technical) authoring. Clearly Issaries don't know how to use the tools they have at hand. RTFM