RE: Re: Book size

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 10:35:05 +0100

Jarec wrote:

> I would agree that the book size is not the problem. In fact I
> remember Greg at the last Convulsion saying that the size was an
> attempt to get the book into regular bookshops rather than just RPG
> shops.

That's good. Because soon he will know whether or not this has worked. And if it has not, there will be no reason not to expand the format for second editions and subsequent releases.

I find it somewhat intriguing that the "second wave" release of Hero Wars (per Greg at Tentacles, with thanks to Andre for the memory-jog) consists of taking the unboxed copies of HW, NB and GV, printing more boxes for them, and shipping them to games shops.

My suspicious little mind asks if this means the unboxed books aren't shifting fast. Only Greg (and Eric?) will know for sure, I guess. But if unboxed paperback books sit in the warehouse tying up Issaries' working capital, while boxed sets sold in games shops are actually generating the business's cash flow, the argument for little paperbacks looks less like innovative marketing and more like commercial suicide.

Just my $0.02. But keep watching those sales figures, anyone who can see 'em!

Cheers, Nick