Re: Telmori: They Ain't *That* Bad/The Telmori Foundling

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 10:43:46 -0000

I think that is "fairly benign" as much as any rival clan/tribe is when you are not invovled in an all out war, or vicious blood feud! There probably were occasional raids by Telmori into their neighbours hunting grounds, but they generally staid clear of the pastures and people. Likewise their neighbours would sometimes raid into the Telmori territory, just as they launch cattle raids on each other. They (generally) stop short of outright war, and (with the mediation of the Princes of Sartar) most incidents are smoothed over politically.

> >Additionally, a Telmori hero, Kostajor, rescued Prince Jarosar
from the
> >Battle of Dwarf Ford. His presence at the battle implies that the
> >Telmori joined the other tribes to help the Aldachuri against the
>Lunars
> >(1565, KoS 139).
>
> AFAIK they only joined because of their personal (doglike?)
> relationship to the Royal House and not because they were
> called on for service like the other tribes. There's a
> comment in Home of the Bold (IIRC) that the latter princes
> were heavily reliant on the Telmori for muscle.

The Telmori character in HotB is Goram Whitefang, Bodyguard to Prince Termatain (The prince also has a Lunar Bodyguard, of course...) The Telmori loyalty to the Royal house is based on Sartar's promise to free them from the Curse, which they believe his descendants will honour in return for their service.

I believe that at least some of the Telmori later fought for the Lunars (although possibly these were Telmori bought from elsewhere in the Empire, rather than Sartarite Telmori). Certainly Lunar Missionaries preaching their gospel of acceptance and an end to prejudice would find eager listeners amongst those Telmori facing indifferent or hostile Orlanthi neighbours (One of the incidents Goram has to deal with in HotB is a raid on a Telmori village by one of the other tribes (The Culbrea or the Cisina (sp?) I think...).

Alternatively, Illuminating a Pack leader, so he can accept the Curse rather than fighting against it may bring the Telmori round to acceptance of the Lunar Way...