Re: Cults of Carmania

From: Martin Laurie <Svechin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 22:05:35 -0000

> Kevin P. McDonald

> >Martin mentioned a Lion God, and there does seem to be a Bulls vs
>Lions
> >theme in Carmanian history. Is there really such a god?

This is what we have for the Lion God in SGU keywords. Bear in mind that this is at a provisional stage and could be changed or even removed by the time it is produced.

Durbadath

Durbadath is the lion-god of Dara Happa, and also an ancestor of many of the lower class. The Pelandans recognise that he is the hunter aspect of their own Karndasal the Invincible. Durbadath was conquered by Yelm who then made a place of honour for the conquered deity to serve the royalty of Dara Happa. Since then lions and Dara Happan royalty have always been associated, and this cult has revealed its solar and imperial connections. The Lion-men of Pelanda fought a long war with the Sakkar-men for supremacy culminating in a massive battle between the two incarnated rival deities. The scars of this ferocious battle still mar the land near Peldre where deep crevasses in the hills were left by tearing claws of the gods. In the end, Sakkar was driven off in defeat.

The Lion-folk have always been associated with the Light and have fought for Dara Happa against Gbaji and later against the Spolite repression of their people and religion across Peloria and Pelanda. So great were their difficulties against the Spolites that they agreed to serve the Carmanians who saved them from certain extinction. Idovanus recognised the cult and many Carmanoi and Hazars, including the famous Lion Shahs, followed the god to emulate his kingly nobility.

Once a key part of the Carmanian military the lion-folk of lost considerable influence but still maintain their traditions in the permissive Lunar Empire.

Note:

Karndasal the Invincible is the god of the Lasadag Lion regiment from Pelanda. I would say that there are several Lion gods, that come under the Doburdath uber-name.

Martin Laurie