Re: Carmanian castes

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 08:45:02 -0000

Martin wrote:

> Yep, back to the drawing board as far as their culture goes.

Bad luck, old bean. Still, "if it ain't broke..."

> However, you have defined the Viziers are being mostly sorcerers,

(As have I, throughout my Carmanian work).

> I'm curious as to how you see the logisitics of a tiny group
> like the Magi enforcing the Truth as actually working?

They determine the Truth, by talking to God. They don't need "access to cults"; they don't ride around in armour enforcing their dictates at lance-point.

> How can they actually tell if the cult is following the Truth or
> the Lie?

By asking God.

> Secondly they are secluded and pure. They spend much time in
> meditation and purification rituals so they can reach Idovanus and
> hear the Truth. How do they do this AND go around the country
> checking on all these cults?

They don't. They stay secluded and pure, and ask God whether he's happy or not. This obsession with running the Magi as a secret cult police in Carmania is blinding you to the way they actually work.

> Nearly a million people in Carmania they have to watch while
> there might be a few hundred of them at best?

I think that's exactly 100, but can't recall if this is in Peter's account.

> When a player joins a Carmanian cult he has to know the impact
> the Magi have on his cult and what they actually _do_ to check
> out that cult on a regular basis.

You want the College of Magi, the ultimate pinnacle of the Carmanian Church, to run mundane audits of known cults, checking them out by attending their rituals on a regular basis? Not how I have ever seen them working.

> And given their origins, I cannot see a Carmanian caste forbidding
> weapon use. Period.

Then your views fundamentally diverge from mine and Peter's. I do not see how the origins of the Carmanians (fundamentalist, puritanical refugees from God Learner religious innovations which were undermining their caste-based Western religion) necessitate their Viziers wearing plate armour and riding war-horses into mundane conflict. Quite the reverse.

Cheers, Nick