Re: Myths are getting plain silly

From: contracycle <gamartin_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 12:42:16 -0000

> For instance, pages 94-97 of Storm Tribe describes exactly the
> structures and behaviours of the Humakt cult, and its members at
> various levels.

This lays out "rights and privilieges"; what is the actual organisational structure? I concede that Humakt is one of the most detailed provided, with the captains ansd whotnot, demonstrated how a cult can have an institutional role beyond just being there.

> on the material culture of those associated with this cult. Other
> cults are provided with the same material. The cults of Orlanth and
> Ernalda are clearly stated as providing the normal Heortling
> culture.

Yes, but even the Humak IMO was rather nominal, Ernalda and Orlanth even more so.

> What else do you want? More detail? Well, yes, we'd all like more

My objection, specifically and after all the straw men have been removed, was that we are into the 7th book and IMO this situation has not been seriously tackled - at least, not to my and some others satisfaction. And I said earlier that initially I felt I had every reason to look forward to the production of such material, but the continual production of myths rather than solid data means I am beginning to doubt whether there is in fact anything to wait for; whether, in fact, the information I had hoped to see will ever appear. What causes me concern is the continual attempt to rationalise mythology as the entirety of cultural data rather than a subset of such data; this suggests to me that further attempts at cultural exposition will also occur in mythic format and will be, to me, unsastisfying. At the moment HW is looking destined for a shelf labelled "nice idea, poor execution" and I'll rip off the mechanics for something else. On top of all of that is the newbies or old hands issue; my comments on ST have caused much excitement, but understand that from the perspective of a newbie, Issaries and Humakt already appear in HW:RiG, and to find yourself looking at a reprint so quickly feels a bit like a smack in the face; I would much rather tha range of data covered had been extended instead of deepened.

> looks good on the shelf...) Information that isn't presented at all
> in the books? Like what?

Well, just looking at HW:RiG, the Merchant keyword says you are a wandering trader, knowledgeable of marketable goods. OK, so the kind of thing I'd be interested to know is, say, how extensive the routes for traders are; are you talking about sarterites who travel to the wastes of prax, or just do a round-robin of steads? What sort of marketable goods are we talking about, foreign imports like Eastern silks, high value commodities like jewelry? Is there an established trade route for the movement of iron from the dwarves, and if so is it organised at the political (clan ring) or religious (issaries cult) level? This would give us an idea of the range of normal sarterite movement, the bounds of the polity, and some solid conception of how this society put itself together. Say, for example, iron was a significant strategic commodity, which purchase required consent from other social organs; that would supply some nice detailed grist to the adventurers mill. As far as cult organs though, are those subdivided, do they maintain "staff" for functions beyond the immediate service to the community? Are some towns and villages known as cult centers, where the presiding authority of that cult were likely to be found? Do any of them rotate individuals? Is there a college or a course of study that one might expect from extrapolation of the possible Druid analogue? That sort of thing.