Orlanthi Inheritance

From: Raymond McCann <ray_at_...>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 18:34:49 +0100

John Hughes wrote:

> My model uses a Celtic-style inheritance, where private property is
>shared equally among all eligible heirs....

There was a system of Inheritance used in Dark Ages Scotland which I believe has several valuable roleplaying possibilities. It has become known as Tanistry. The Tanist is an heir presumptive, and his right to inherit is conferred not by his father but by his mother. Matrilinear succession in one form or another was very common among the Celts. The Tanist was very often the son of the reigning Chief's sister. What ever the roots of the custom, its effect was to ensure that a capable adult was available to take over - a vital consideration when the Chief was a war-leader. The defect of the system was the often murderous rivalry it promoted when there were a number of possible successors. Tanistry can become quite complicated however but it may be worth some thought.

Raymond