Re: Elmali clan; Orlanthi; scenarios

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 22:01:12 -0800

Peter

> > I don't think full Elmali tribes exist, except maybe in Esrolia
>
> You are probably right. According to BA, however, the king of the Aranwyth
> Tribe is a devotee of Elmal Rex. This means nothing in it self, but
> according to an ancient post by Roderick Robertson, the tribe's claim to
> fame is that they are "horse traders and Elmal worshippers." This made me
> assume (perhaps incorrectly) that Elmal is an important deity in the tribe,
> worshipped by a sizeable portion of the male population.

I too find it unlikely there are Elmali tribes. And of course, it only takes electing the king of the single Elmali clan to get an Elmal Rex king.

I probably would have interpreted Roderick's statement such that each of the Aranwyth clans had an Elmal shrine (which is IMO uncommon outside an Elmal clan), and not given them all a majority of Elmali males.

Stefan

> > Think landlocked Vikings (or Saxons) for everyday details. I still
> > recommend 'How Would I survive as a Viking'.
>
> thanks for the hint, though I doubt I can find a translated one
> here in germany :(

I haven't read the text, but I think "So lebten sie zur Zeit der Wikinger" is worth finding. Even if the text is totally inaccurate, the book is lavishly illustrated, and the illustrations look correct. The Heortlings are *not* Vikings, and they don't have ships, but I'd say about half the pictures work for Heortlings. (And if I'd seen this book when we were doing King of Dragon Pass, I'll bet the picture of thralls hauling a cart of loot would be in the computer game...)

In fact, it's worth finding even for folks who don't read German.

My rule of thumb: if the picture has a ship, ignore it. If not, it probably works for Heortlings (unless it's one of the Vingkotling predecessors), though IMO you should adjust facial hair depending on whether you have Tarshite Heortlings (moustaches) or Sartarite Heortlings (beards).

Barry

> honestly, HW needs scenarios. And fast.

Unfortunately, books of scenarios sell the fewest copies of any sort of game book. (I'm not arguing that they can help strengthen sales of the entire line, but this is a fact of game publishing.)

And unfortunately, I'm not aware of many magazines that publish scenarios any more. (Have any of our more prolific scenario-writers sent anything to Valkyrie, for example?)

--

David Dunham   <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>