Re: Barbarian Adventures

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:09:13 +0100

contracycle :

> Basically, the message here is clear - this list doesn't give a shit
> that HW is unsastisfactory to many people, does not even want to hear
> about it - fingers-in-the-ears garbage.

Both of these statements are false.

Yes, HW1 is unsatisfactory to various people, for various reasons, some of which you have mentioned, some of which have been put forward by others, not all of which are mutually compatible. Not all of which can be solved very easily. Some of which should be discussed on hw-rules, and not here.

But this list * does * give a shit about the issue, including those GTA members who donated cash to support the game, various authors of official or fan publications who have done and continue to do their best to satisfy people's perceived needs, and especially everyone who has ever posted a message to this list to actually help other people resolve any difficulties they have with the material or help adapt it to their own tastes.

Yes, the list * does * want to hear about possible problems with Hero Wars.

What the list * doesn't * want to do is listen to people's scratched record collection.

HW is unsastisfactory ** clik ** HW is unsastisfactory ** clik ** HW is unsastisfactory ** clik ** HW is unsastisfactory ** clik ** ....

Glorantha is relativist. Yuck! ** clik ** Glorantha is relativist. Yuck! ** clik ** Glorantha is relativist. Yuck! ** clik ** Glorantha is relativist. Yuck! ** clik ** ...

It gets a bit tedious.

People are usually capable of getting the message first time round, you know, shining examples to the contrary notwithstanding.

Yes, I know that not every Glorantha newbie will be aware of past discussion of many issues on the GD. Unfortunately, it seems that a lasting effect of the recent "Death of the GD Crisis" is that GD-type threads now occur in this inappropriate forum. The "Why I don't like HW" ; "Relativism" ; "Subjectivism" ; "Many Suns" ; "One True Glorantha" ; "Which Reality?" ; "High Philosophy of Glorantha" ; and all other similar threads belong, not on HeroWars, but on the Glorantha Digest AKA the "Incredible Pseudo-Intellectual Nazi Trolls in Asbestos Woolies" mailing list for Snobbish Glorantha fans.

Anyway.

No decent map, and no Sartar Gazetteer in TR + ST + BA.

Bad Issaries.

No biscuit.

We. Have. Got. The. Message.

> I get messages of support
> encouraging to poursure this line of inquiry, and you can't been
> internalise that there just might be a problem.

The basic problem is that HW1 had about half of the financial basis that the game designers and publisher actually needed.

Every other problem is secondary to this basic, unfortunate fact.

Why can't you understand that the issues * have * been internalised ?

If you want HW game design processes to take place in this open arena, I think you're going to be disappointed.

> Fine, I am not a martyr to this cause.

Why the hell are you standing on that soapbox, then ?

Julian Lord