Re: Barbarian Adventures

From: contracycle <gamartin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:23:30 -0000

> I, and others, have at various points asked you to explain what you
> actually see as wrong. To the best of my recollection, the only
> reply we have received was a lack of an adequate map or gazeeter
> for Sartar. I, for one, have

That is a specific detail which I am extremely unhappy about; there are many others (see below). Furthermore, I tried to explain that the false interpolation of mythology and culture was distorting the situation further, meaning that more and more information was produced, possibly intended to answer the perceived problems, but which instead perpetuates the problem.

So, having waded back through thenlist, here is a summary of the detail that is perceived as missing:

Tim Ellis
1) The Tribes of Sartar:
Pretty much like the information that currently makes up the first few pages. An overview of the Tribes and confederations that make up the Kingdom of Sartar

1a) Tribal Resources:
The "Player Resources" that are at a Tribal level - including the discussion of the various types of Tribal Ring.

2) The Clans of Sartar:
A brief discussion on the Clan, how it fits into a Tribe, how it might operate independantly form a Tribe (are there stilll "Independant" clans in Sartar?) or swap tribes.

2a) Clan Resources
The "Player resources" at a Clan level. 2b) "Your Clan"
The Clan Generator.
A sample clan - a "worked example" using the Clan generator with NPC's to fill the Clan Ring. Ideally this could be used by a GM who didn't want to generate the PC's Clan from scratch, or as the "Rival Clan" for his own / his players creation.
A map of the Tula - Really just to give some idea of how much land a clan controls in a representative format, and how many buildings/where abouts they are - It should not be "tied down" to a particular location, but should give an indication of what is beyond its boundaries (so "Road to Town, 2-3 days walk" rather than "Wilmskirk 27.5 miles", - whether boundaries are shared or front on to wilderness...

3) Other Resources
The Cult, Guild, and Hero band (Rebels, etc) information.

4) Narator Resources
Some information on the other groups the Characters might encounter.

5) "Hero Wars" time Line
A time line showing the recent history of Dragon Pass/Sartar (the "What my Grandpa Told me"

5a) Narators "Secret History"
A look forward at what will happen acording to "Canon" Glorantha - (Something ISTR we were promissed) to enable GM's to "be prepared" for changes in future books.

6). "Adventure Seeds"
The "clan Activites" chapter. Some Ideas of what sorts of things your PC's might do, and the consequences thereof.

7) "Clan Campaign"
An expansion on some of the above. A full "Year in the life of your clan" with "extended episodes" so the novice/pressed for time GM can run pretty much "from the book". The "full rules" for a cattle raid belong in this section, and the existing "Blood Fued" could also go here as the basis for one (or more) episodes. The section should be rounded off with notes for the ongoing consequences of the episodes.

When we get to Volume 2 we would expect to see scenarios/episodes based on the "ongoing story" and information on extending the campaign "beyond the clan", along with more narator resources (Ducks! Telomri! Grazers! etc. Not the "full culture pack" but enough to let us use them as adversaries/encounters)

Peter Nordstrand
It seems that I am the only one that want more info about tribal rings (and
clan rings for that matter). What are these rings like in Elmal- worshipping
clans/tribes?

Darran
My only complaint is that the inside covers could have been used for colour
pictures or maps!

Squirrellpollock

There are constant referrals to the
Orlanth temples being closed, but when this actually occurred is never actually stated. The information on Tribal Rings does not mention what effects the Lunar occupation has had on the activities or functions of Ring members.

This is a deeply disappointing product, especially considering it has been germinating for 10+ years. The reason for the lack of detail in the product would appear to lie in a desire not to upset hardened Gloranthanphiles, who have already mapped out their version of Sartar and jealously and often violently defend it. Newcomers are presented with little scraps of information and game mechanics, and with one exception, (a truly pathetic little map), there is nothing to give any sort of scope. All this could have been forgiven if exciting and engaging scenarios have been provided.

This last paragraph sums the situation up perfectly, IMO. Although it describes BA, it captures the impression I have reading the rest of the books too; that it is really aimed at existing players, and explaining things to new players is an irksome afterthought.