RE: Re: Digest Number 756

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 21:19:13 -0000

On Tuesday, February 19, 2002 3:34 PM, bernuetz.oliver_at_... wrote:

> Well other than the fact that charms and blessings are pretty alien to lots
> of modern people. Other than crossing our fingers for luck we're not that
> big into everyday ritual. My parents never told me that I had to thank an
> animal for its sacrifice or that I had to thank a tree for its nuts. I
> think its much more circumscribed by ritual and belief than the modern world
> I'm most familiar with and would feel pretty alien to me.

Hi,

I think we have more everyday rituals in the modern world than we all think. For example, many people simply can't seem to function in the morning without making their cup of tea or coffee. In my experience, it doesn't seem to matter whether we actually *drink* the stuff (I know I've not had time to on many occasions), but it is the very "ritual" of making the lovely hot drink (appeasing the tea/coffee spirit?) that seems to relax you into the day.

Well, that's how it seems to work for me, anyway. Mind you, I was brought up by my mother to give a friendly greeting to Magpies to stop them cursing me with bad luck. I still do it now.

Regards,

Bruce