RE: Re: Digest Number 756

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 18:14:15 -0500

Simon Hibbs :

>Many modern people in developed countries perhaps, but in fact
>probably a minority of them too. I was brought up with prayers
>before every meal, for example. In any case even if Glorantha had
>no magic or active religious practices whatsoever, I think
>you'd find living among the Orlanthi plenty strange enough.

I'm not suggesting there are no rituals in the developed countries but there are plenty of people who follow absolutely no rituals or practise no beliefs who come to no harm whatsoever. I wonder if that's true for Glorantha?

>However I don't think you'd find it a lot more strange in an
>Orlanthi stead than living among any of the remaining tribal
>people who follow a traditional lifestyle in the modern world
>today... most of the time.

That depends on whether you believe magic and spiritual events/occurrences are more obvious in Glorantha than in the RW which I do. Yes I know many cultures and groups in the RW follow all sorts of rituals and or have strong heartfelt beliefs about matters otherworldly or spiritual but I don't think I would see any obvious effects from their beliefs while I do think I would in Glorantha. And that's where I see the difference. But that's just my opinion.

Oliver