Re: Another Myth take

From: bethexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 21:01:39 -0000

To me this would be very in flavour for Vinga, and I wouldn't think it would have much if any penalty. On the other hand, a humakti trying to augment someone else I might be inclined to penalize more, since Humakt was mostly know for his personal fights and the negative consequences when others got their hands on Death.

In short, the dreaded "depends upon the circumstances."

> Here's another question. OK, I think I'm safe saying that my Vingan
> can augment everyone else with Fight Against Uz. But can she give
them
> the ability to Run Over Treetops? Again, even Initiates can't do
that,

Well they can, but the improvisation penalty might be prohibitive. On the other hand a Vingan inititate who wanted to scale a tree, run along a branch, leap to the next tree, and generally carry on like a squirrel could no doubt augment her chances.

> Is my Vingan giving them an ability, like a
> Spirit does? Or forcing an action upon them? Do the recipients
> understand what they are doing, do they have to, to control it? Or
> does the feat somehow invade their consciousness and take over their
> instincts?

I think it would be a bit how you explain it. First of all, I'd rule that feats are what they say they are, and "run over treetops" doesn't say anything about helping others do that (note: "fight Uz" doesn't mention others either, but Vinga's fighting style is well known for helping others to resist, so to me it makes sense that she can use it on others). It would probably be a reasonable improvisation for a devotee to say "One time in the beast wars, Wolves attacked by surprise, and Vinga grabbed Voriof by one hand and some other kid by the other and helped them escape across the tree tops." and try to improvise it, but that would only work if holding their hands. Doing it to somebody at a range just doesn't sound much like Vinga to me, I think she'd be more inclined to use her movement abilities to get to the person who needed help, then to use her magic to help them.

Contrast this with Vangarth's flying, where he leaps upon his own breath. Using that at an improv to catch someone else (I send my breath galloping across the sky to catch him before he reaches the ground). Sure there would be an improv penalty (the other person doesn't know what is going on, can't tell what the mount is, and doesn't know how to stay on properly.

*shrug* I think it all comes out as "it varies by the situation." I know that a lot of people don't think that is an acceptable answer, but to me it seems better than trying to categorically say it works like this or that, and having to dig around to all the odd corners where that model breaks down or is completely abusive.

--Bryan