RE: Another Myth take

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 23:51:49 -0000

On Tuesday, February 19, 2002 7:53 PM, Wulf Corbett wrote:

> Here's another question. OK, I think I'm safe saying that my Vingan
> can augment everyone else with Fight Against Uz. But can she give them
> the ability to Run Over Treetops? Again, even Initiates can't do that,
> how can non-Vingans? Is my Vingan giving them an ability, like a
> Spirit does? Or forcing an action upon them? Do the recipients
> understand what they are doing, do they have to, to control it? Or
> does the feat somehow invade their consciousness and take over their
> instincts?
>
> Like I say, I think I CAN have my Vingan use feats on other folks, but
> I'd like to know what's actually happening in her terms...

My personal take is that most feats (unless the name obviously implies that it is intended to be used directly on someone else) are to be used just by the owner of the feat.

Frex, Run Over Treetops is just that. It lets your Vingan run over treetops. As Narrator, I probably wouldn't let you zap someone else with it so that *they* can run over treetops. After all, the feat isn't called Let My Friends Run On Treetops.
That said, I would let the Vingan lead someone with her across the treetops by, say, taking them by the hand and leading them. If she lets go, though (that is, fumbles... <grin>) it could get messy.

As to what would happen if she came up with a brand new feat that *did* let her give her pals the ability to run on treetops. Well... I'd want to make a little mythlet about it:

Like "Vinga and Finovan were ambushed by Gagarth and his bad winds while hunting in the forest one day. The only good enough way out was across the treetops, so Vinga kissed Finovan and the air she breathed into him was so light that, as long as he could hold his breath and keep that little bit of Vinga's breath inside him, he was lightened and could easily run away across the treetops."

> Is my Vingan giving them an ability, like a
> Spirit does?

In game terms, I think she's augmenting <whoever's> Run Away/whatever with her Let My Friends Run On Treetops/Vinga's Light And Airy Breath feat (which she may just be improvising on the fly).
Someone's bound to come up with an alternative answer, but this is my first instinct. I think to actually "give" someone the ability beyond it just being an augment is more in the province of Issaries' feat trading.

> Do the recipients
> understand what they are doing, do they have to, to control it? Or
> does the feat somehow invade their consciousness and take over their
> instincts?

I think they would understand enough to use the assistance given. If the magic used to aid them is totally weird/unfamiliar to them, they might be very nonplussed/confused.
Like Trickster magic, say, which I really *can* imagine invading their consciousness and taking over their instincts... :)

Regards,

Bruce