Re: Trade Guilds?

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 13:08:38 -0000

Tim Ellis wrote:
> I re-spotted in the character keywords yesterday that Heortling
> Merchants have a relationship to a "Trade Guild".
>
> This doesn't seem right to me (RQ2 Guilds notwithstanding). I
would
> have thought most Heortling Merchants were Sole Traders, or
> representatives of a Clan/Bloodline.

Effectively for urban dwellers in historical analogues guild = bloodline in terms of responsibilities for weregild etc. Guilds evolved in urban environments because people were seperated from the traditional support of their kinship groups in urban environments, guilds moved in to fill the gap by banding together those who had common interests. While the 'kinship' group model is importants John points out the members are not always kin but sometimes kind.

Guild membership supplementa bloodline 'kinship' membership instead of replacing it. As an exxample of why it exists consider if Jo Mith is travelling around Sartar; he is going to spend long periods away from his kin, if he is in a foriegn town who will support him if he is accused of a crime, falls on hard times. His kinfolk are too far away, but the guild will help him in the same way that he would help one of its members near his home.

In the City of London many medieval guilds still exist but are now masonic style self-help organisations rather than collections of tradesmen.

Issaires is in many ways a type of 'Trade Guild'.