Heortling freemen

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 14:19:55 +0100

David Dunham wrote on [hw-rules]:

[replying to my comment that the Heortling requirement to be a freeman includes ownership of a spear and shield] ...
> Surely the legal requirements to be a free man among the Heortlings
> are so low that everyone is a free man...

Well, what about thralls?

Also, for Orlanthi, freedom = responsibility, which means having enough wealth to meet your legal responsibilities. These include participation in raids (a weapon and shield) and payment of wergild (cattle or enough sheep or agricultural land to trade for them). The wergild system would breakdown if paupers were allowed to become carls (freemen), as such people do not have the wealth to pay wergild.