Subject: Aspects of Orlanth

From: t.s.baguley_at_...
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 14:36:57 +0100

> From: Dave Bailey <dave.bailey_at_...>
>Dear All,
> I'm a little confused, I guess it's because there's something I've
>forgotten or not read and I'm not sure what I want to ask...
>
> Dad, dad, there's Orlanth the Farmer and Barntar, which one is
>better at farming? Why do we have both? When do we worship one and not the
>other? Are they the same God with a different name? If one is better than
>the other why do we worship the other?

I think they are effectively the same in many respects. Barntar is a specialized Orlanth:Farmer. You can't worship Barntar without worshipping Orlanth IMO. Barntar's myths probably include "Orlanth teaches Barntar to harness the Ox", "Barntar teaches men to plow" etc. Some Orlanthi may only worship Orlanth the Farmer.

Thom