Alien beliefs (Was: Re: Digest Number 756)

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 13:24:03 -0800

Oliver Asks:

> Here's a poser though. In Glorantha do alien cultures, e.g. the Lunars
> respect or at least acknowledge local beliefs? If they move into an area
do
> they recognize the local's beliefs about spirits, etc. as being genuine
(if
> misguided and erroneously attributed as to their nature) OR do they just
> ignore the local's beliefs. And if they do can they suffer consequences
> from the local spirits? Do the western sorcerous cultures pay any heed to
> eastern beliefs? Are they more like RW monotheists in their approach to
> indigenous cultures or are they flexible enough to acknowledge local
beliefs
> BUT tell the locals that they'd not gods, etc. but something else?

Most people's minor rituals (propitiate Old Oak so he doesn't drop his branches on you, ask permission of the field's guardian before plowing, etc) are probably based on "true" myths - Old Oak really *will* drop his branches if you anger him because (unknown to anyone) he is an Sentient Aldryami War Tree. Not doing the proper little rituals will eventually anger Old Oak, and he'll start dropping branches on people again. Invaders won't know about the little rituals, and no-one will tell them more than once - hey, if those stupid Lunars want to sleep under Old Oak, let them!

Respect or acknowledgement will vary from person to person, some will figure "it can't hurt", others that "it's only superstition", and others "who cares, I can take anything it dishes out". Friendly invaders (c'mon, you know what I mean - Deezola, rather than Char-Un) will be more likely to be warned "If you pass under Old Oak there, be sure to drop a sip of water on his roots and pat his trunk with your right hand while saying 'Thank you for not dropping your mighty branches on me'"

RR