Re: Beat-Pot Aelwrin

From: moonbroth <Nick_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:17:40 -0000

Philippe asked:

> I have some questions about him:

I may have some answers at my website; see these two pieces --

http://www.etyries.com/moonson/beat-pot-aelwrin.htm (a character sheet for Beat-Pot Aelwrin, used in our "Life of Moonson" freeform)

http://www.etyries.com/folktale/aelwrin.htm ("The Ballad of Beat-Pot Aelwrin", a bawdy Lunar song)

> When was he 'Jar-Eel-ized' ?

See Peter's answer. That works for me.

> In what way was he changed ?

Spiritually, not physically. His magic is an outgrowth of himself and his devotion to the Living Goddess manbi, not an exotic Lunar graft.

> Does anyone know if he manifests some lunar powers ? Pentan
> magics, anything apart from being able to eat walktapus ?

Only as the High Priest of Jar-Eel's Moonsword Cult. Kick-ass combat magic

> What does he do afterwards ? Always coming after Jar Eel I
> remember... But he can't really be a bodyguard (she doesn't
> need it).

In our freeform, we had him becoming the commander of Moonson's Imperial Bodyguard, but that's just us. (We liked the image of him being snubbed and looked down on as a lower-class arriviste by the aristocratic "proper officers" of the elite regiments. He didn't enjoy this ceremonial role *at all* -- he'd far rather have been in the field, fighting for the Empire he loves).

In our game, he had also opened a chain of Lunar restaurants (see our "Rough Guide to Glamour" for more on Beat-Pot's Moon Rock Cafe); remember that this is written in the happy-go-lucky spirit of Geo's, and Thunderbreath Gobbleguts, and Bob's Bison Burgers, and not at all the ascetic spirit of "No Inns in Sartar". Beat-Pot is famed as a temperamental master-chef who sometimes works in his own kitchens. Explore the freeform materials at www.etyries.com/moonson for more.

> I have supposed in my game that Jar Eel uses him for missions
> where loyalty is important, so the PCs can meet him, in special
> circonstances...

Sounds right to me. We had him as passionately jealous of Jar-Eel, so he'd be resentful and suspicious about being sent away from her, however good the cause. He might also offload his personal feelings to an old comrade from his slave days... good chance for a heart-to- heart with one of your PCs?

> Initially, I supposed he was in the '10W3 range' (Class III
> Hero ;) ) and Jar Eel in the 10M4 range, but, due to some
> inflation, I suppose it's more 10M4 for Aelwrin and 10M5-6
> for Jar Eel ?

That's not what the rules say. Aelwrin should be 10w3-ish and Jar-Eel 10w4-ish in their best abilities. Any "inflation" you add on top of this is entirely your own decision.

Cheers, Nick