Re: Hu's Who?

From: bethexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:05:29 -0000

Just thinking about this....we know from Thunder Rebels and Storm Tribe that in general souls of the dead spend some time with their god, then get re-born into the mortal world. But the myths I've seen from when Humakt first found death don't suggest re-birth at all....you were dead, and that was it.

So, at some point it changed.

No doubt the "moment" of change was the cosmic compromise that let the gods be reborn. It is implied in Storm Tribe that all the gods had a piece of the net, which is what bound them into time. But nobody has suggested the dead mortals were holding the net, so they needed a different deal to let them be re-born. Perhaps there is a myth explaining this, but I haven't seen it.

So I'm thinking, who better to negotiate the release of souls from hell to their gods places, and then re-birth, than Issaries? So maybe in a way Issaries did "steal the souls of the dead" by somehow creating a bargain that let them carry on around the wheel of life. What he offered in return I have no idea, although I'm sure part of the deal was that the souls would continue to come through hell to get judged.

Just a thought.

--Bryan