Mastery Inflation (Was: Beat-Pot Aelwrin and Jar Eel)

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:52:00 -0800

[Snip]
> X Heortling Weaponthane 15-10w (HW), 12w (BA)
> X Dara Happan Elite Cavalry 10w-10w2 (HW), 5w (BA)
> X Dara Happan Hoplite 15-10w (HW), 10w (BA)
> X Heortling Clan Champion 10w-10w2 (HW), 10w3 (BA)

Just pointing out that the Arrowstones are "just another cavalry unit", not Elite. On the other hand, they are basically a little better than a starting character.

> Well, I haven't read much (still) of BA, but if to be a clan champion you
now
> need 3 masteries, I'll ditch the numbers and use my own. I do not want to
create
> another mastery thread, but here is my PoV :

Speaking only for myself, not Greg...

No, you don't need to be 10w3 to be a clan champion. I was going off Greg's notes and neither of us caught the "w3" in the Clan Champion. A *Tribal* champion should usually be in the highw2 range.

To put this in perspective of Dragon Pass (The board game)

No Masteries-low 1mastery: Rank & file of a "basic unit" (those 3-3-3 Foot Militia's frex)
Mid 1mastery- low 2mastery: The leader of a Basic Unit, or a trooper in an elite unit.
High 2mastery: Lowliest raw recruit in a (Super)Hero counter, Leader in an elite unit.
Low 3mastery: Have a counter named after you (Baron Sanuel) Mid-high 3mastery: Hero counter with (4!) CF 4mastery: Superhero counter with (20!!) CF

Of course, the counters also include ~1,000 beings for a basic counter, and ~50-100 for a Hero/Superhero counter. So having Close Combat 19w4 but no followers/warband doesn't even get you on the board.

Roderick

RR