LOTR and Redemption

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 17:27:18 +0100

Andrew and Jim :

> << Tolkien was a Christian
> and I'd have hoped he would allow for the possibility of an orc overcoming
> its background. No sentient being should be beyond the possibility of
> redemption. >>

> The reason JRRT didn't allow for redemption was that this was a pre-Christian
> world, and as a religious Christian he didn't believe that redemption was
> possible until Christ put it on offer, so to speak.

Apart from pointing out that you guys have a perplexity by its horns (and good luck with it), I've little to add except my opinion that the thread is beyond the Fringe of HW topicness.

Oh, and the fact that the Bad Guys in LOTR are literary devices, not Christian allegories. Tolkien's writing is of course tinged with Catholicism, but let's not get carried away ...

Or if so, on the Tolkien or Christian Digests ?

cheers,

Julian