RE: Evil, LoTR, and Glorantha

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 12:01:58 -0500

Peter Larsen :

> In Glorantha, though, more than most other games, there is a sense
>of the various races, cultures, and even cults being made up of more
>specific groups. So Uz are pretty much all big, hungry, and dangerous, but
>there are Xiola Umbar and Argan Argar Uz who are "nicer" and generally
>peaceful, Zorak Zoran Uz who are even more dangerous, and Gadblad and
>Subere Uz who are really weird. Sure, there are culural norms but also
>significant variations within those norms, even leaving out the "player
>character specials."

Definitely, and the culture that has these options is a lucky one in that it has more or less accepted groups (who really accepts ZZ or Storm Bullies though?) that "deviants" can join. Think of poor Vega Goldbreath in Sun County and the horrendous time she must have had and probably still has proving herself. I'm sure she still has to prove herself moreso than any male would.

>>The individual going against the grain still has a hard time proving their
>>entitlement to their life choice.

> Exactly! And using this as a recurring theme would make a game
>richer. If the pcs want to runn off and be heroes instead of hanging out on
>the boring old tula, how does the clan feel, much less their immediate
>family?
>
>"Son, if you chase off after Kallyr, who will tend the cows?"
>"Sartar must breath free, Mother!"
>"Sartar, not to mention your family and clan, must eat, too, or they won't
>breath at all...."
>"I must go!"
>"Be sure the Chief outlaws you before you do; then we won't all pay for
>your folly. You're a stranger now; go away."

Children can be such a burden especially when they insist on being square pegs:-)

Oliver