Re: List policies [moved from Glorantha Digest, by moderator request and indeed pertinence]

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 16:18:56 GMT

Julian Lord:
> > If wants to
> > be "the newbie friendly list", then why does it regularly and apparently
> > happily entertain lengthy threads on what could only be described as
> > Gloranthan esoterica?
>
> THIS is what I'm worried about. I'm worried that the "newbie friendly list"
> might become the "newbies run away screaming list" Mark II.

That seems a legitimate concern, I agree. But the way to stop that is to more consistently filter out "esoterica". If the de facto list policy is that you can have stuff we, the moderators, like, regardless of its actual "newbie friendliness" or "esotericness", but not anything too "negative", it's _bound_ to be perceived as invidious and arbitrarily censoring, regardless of the benevolence of the intent.

Cheers,
Alex.