Re: Cinderella

From: moonbroth <Nick_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 14:25:53 -0000

Bryan wrote:

> The French version of the girl's name was (again may be spelled
> wrong) Cendrillion, again refering to sleeping in the ashes.

It's spelled "Cendrillon" on Sarah's beautiful dress from EuroDisney, and on the related attractions (Auberge de Cendrillon, etc).

> However most tellings of the story, going back quite a long ways,
> omit the detail of sleeping in the ashes of the fire to stay warm.

Not in my experience (and I've now read several modern versions to Sarah). They don't ever say that her name was Ella but from sleeping in the fireplace she was called "Cinder-Ella" -- they take it for granted either that you understand this (or that it'd be confusing to go into the details).

> Also there was the translation mistake on the slipper.

Check my last post's URL -- it's unlikely a Frenchman would have made a mistake translating a French word into French. Perrault is the ursource  for "verre" (glass) slippers. "Vair" (fur) had been in disuse for a long time when he wrote. Apparently.

> I couldn't find a single french version that had a fur slipper,
> they all had it as a glass slipper!

Overenthusiastic etymologists aside, there may never have been a furslippered  version of the story. I am of course ready to be corrected.

Cheers, Nick