Re: Re: Animistic exorcism

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:30:56 -0800

As promised, here is a descriptive approach to a Heortling animistic exorcism. It is freely adapted from a ceremony that appears in Brian Bates' 'The Way of Wyrd'. I've pulled it together in some haste, and extemporised some bad Heortling poetry. You'll get the idea.

All Heortling ceremonies are constructed explicitly as stories and dramas. Different people will see different things according to their own cultic powers and vision, but even children or invited outsiders will be able to follow and comprehend the sacred drama as it unfolds. My own rules for ceremonies are to cultivate mystery (there will always be something that can't easily be explained) and to up the wonder and drama.

The following description should provide plenty of cues for contests of various types as the ceremony unfolds.

The Spirit Battle

I'll assume a female Heortling spirit talker named Talks-To-Powers, and a male possession victim known as Braggi. The ceremony is conducted publicly.

*Spirit: "Why are you hunting me?"

"Great Battle-Wrarg, Greedy One,
You are hungry, you will hunt!

Heath-Beast, Hoar Howler,
You have scented your prey!

Humakt's Hound, Telmor Kin,
You are stalking your prey!

Sedge-buck, Strangler,
Your prey is close!
Smell its hot blood!

Mountain-enemy, Gors Power,
Choose your prey!
Your claws are sharp!

Dusk Trooper, Ravener,
Your teeth hunger,
Pounce and tear!

Grey howler of the gors,
Tear its neck and taste hot blood!"

etc.

*Suddenly, without warning, the air is filled by raucous caws, and a
flapping bird shape that swoops through the air about the seated shaman.The cawing is answered by cheeps and whistles and cries of a hundred different birds, and the air becomes thick with beating wings.

"My spirits are here!
They aid me in my quest!
They will take me to the wasteland,
where dwells the breath of lost men!
I shall enter, I do not fear!
I shall return with the breath of Braggi!

I fly now, the stead is tiny below me!
I fly high, the tula seems small beneath my wings! Swiftly I go, swooping past the green corn, past the friendly, river, the towering mountain, into the Land of Mighty Powers!

"Down I plunge!
Down , Down, Down!
Here in the wasteland
I see the breath of a brave man,
tormented by animal powers!

She crouches, suddenly silent, still and motionless. Nobody moves, or even dare breathe. For long seconds she remains still, though her entire body trembles. Bound and helpless, Braggi keens in fear.

"Haiii! I have you!
My fangs bite deep,
Your armour is torn and rent!
Your nine powers I will strip away,
and when the last is put to flame,
This man Braggi will be free!

Nine layers of hide and bone!
Nine layers of power!
But my teeth are strong,
Nine become eight!

"And eight become seven!

"And seven become six!"

*The celebrants roar their approval as each spirit part is consumed to the
now-roaring flames.

"And six become five!

And five become four!

And four become three!

And three becomes two!"

"And two becomes one!"

"And one becomes none!"

Bates 'The Way of Wyrd" is a prime Heortling resource!

Cheers

John

nysalor_at_...                              John Hughes
Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/

Call the people from their herds now
 To my feasting hearth invite them,
Summon cowman, cottar, godi