Re: Campaign styles

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:46:27 -0800

Nils wrote

> * "Farmer campaign", where day-to-day life of the community
> is the main focus of play. You need to know a lot about
> economics and social structure for this. Every time I have
> tried to include daily life in a campaign I have bored
> the players to within an inch of death, so I also assume
> it requires a far better GM than I am...
>
> * Intrigue and politics, dealing with movers and shakers.
> Here you need a firm grasp of the people running the
> show, and their relations. You also need a very detailed
> timeline, including how it will change with the antics
> of the player heroes.

I think the Seattle Farmer games were actually both of these. There is plenty of intrigue and politics in (and among) the Orlanthi clans, and typically farmers *are* (at least some of) the movers & shakers.

As for the timeline, I don't think it has to be all that detailed -- the ambiguous stuff from King of Sartar worked pretty well.

And while my PenDragon Pass rules
<http://www.pensee.com/dunham/pdp.html> seemed to work a bit better for economics, Hero Wars works for farmer campaigns, too (see Kerenath's Saga at <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/todp/> -- this used prerelease Hero Wars rules).

I think if day-to-day life can be made sufficiently interesting, though possibly not in the default Hero Wars setting. Try

Resettlement of Dragon Pass
Risklands
Colonizing Umathela
Rebuilding after the Dragonkill