Re: Re: Campaign styles

From: Darran <darransims_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 12:03:53 -0000

Greetings and Salutations
2002-02-27-1205.

David Dunham wrote:

> Nils wrote
>
> > * "Farmer campaign", where day-to-day life of the community
> > is the main focus of play.
> >
> > * Intrigue and politics, dealing with movers and shakers.
>
> I think the Seattle Farmer games were actually both of these. There
> is plenty of intrigue and politics in (and among) the Orlanthi clans,
> and typically farmers *are* (at least some of) the movers & shakers.
>
> As for the timeline, I don't think it has to be all that detailed --
> the ambiguous stuff from King of Sartar worked pretty well.
>
> And while my PenDragon Pass rules
> <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/pdp.html> seemed to work a bit better
> for economics, Hero Wars works for farmer campaigns, too (see
> Kerenath's Saga at <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/todp/> --
> this used prerelease Hero Wars rules).
>
> I think if day-to-day life can be made sufficiently interesting,
> though possibly not in the default Hero Wars setting. Try
>
> Resettlement of Dragon Pass
> Risklands
> Colonizing Umathela
> Rebuilding after the Dragonkill

IBefore the Lunar Invasion.
This is the era I have set my campaign, circa 1574ST, as it has the Lunars as an encroaching menace (though I haven't used them yet) but not the most important factor. The inter-clan politics are used by the players and therefore using the players. It also means I show what life is like before the Lunars come so that the players will know what they miss when the invasion happens. The players can get involved in some of the documented events and influence them.
I think that some of the other GM's on this list are also playing pre-invasion.

Cheers Darran.

... Aeolia, where the storm-clouds have their home, a place teeming with furious winds from the south. Here Aeolus is king, and in a vast cavern he controls the brawling winds and the roaring storms, keeping them curbed and fettered in their prison. Resentfully they rage from door to door in the mountainside, protesting loudly, while Aeolus sits in his high citadel, sceptre in hand, taming their arrogance and controlling their fury.

                        Virgil.  The Aeneid.