Re: Campaign styles; inflation

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 21:10:28 -0800

Nils

> > Thus the quotation marks around "farmer campaign". It is
> > certainly meant to be derogatory.
>
> That should be "It is certainly NOT meant to be derogatory".

That's OK. I think we began using the term to apply to our campaigns because it *was* derogatory (and because it would annoy Martin Laurie that we were running such a campaign).

Peter

> I have read a number of posts talking about this inflation, but to be honest
> I fail to find it.
>
> Let's compare Close Combat abilities in the Hero Wars rulesbook with some of
> those presented in Barbarian Adventures:

IMO much of the inflation is in the Hero Wars rulebook. Deep winter in Dragon Pass at 5w4 just seems silly to me. People ought to be able to leave the longhouse on occasion. (Presumably the relevant point for gaming is that winters are indeed bitterly cold, and people spend as little time outdoors as possible.)

Steven White tries to defend this by saying that you get a couple masteries worth of augments... Well, great, now you're 12w2. You still freeze. I think very few Sartarites actually freeze to death (and most of them don't have a winter-resisting skill on their character sheet in the first place, based on our experiences crossing the Rockwoods), so the total augment must be more like w4. Which so overshadows normal abilities that I consider it inflation.

Jim Chapin

> If you have seen the Alps in winter, let alone the Rockies, imagine crossing
> them. 5W4 for sure. It would take a hero or an incredibly well-prepared party
> to get across.

Crossing high peaks in winter makes a lot more sense as a definition of 5w4, though I think it's still too high as it's almost impossible to conceive of getting that much augmentation.

--

David Dunham   <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>