Re: Carls, Half carls and Gardners

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 19:56:06 +1300

At 16:33 6/03/02 +0000, you wrote:
>Anybody have ideas about the percentages of gardeners, carls and
>half carls on a typical stead.

TR p40 says Carls "usually have a stead, with a family of poor carls or cottars to help with chores; about 15 to 25 people total". Since most steads will be headed by Carls, a minimum of one carl per stead sounds about right.

I can't find any stats on the number of beasts that a carl's stead owns (the stead on page p18 is too big and if scaled down implies that a stead containing 15 people only has 26 cattle which is too few). I suspect that one or two of the other people in the stead are half-carls and the rest cottars and gardeners.

--Peter Metcalfe