Re: Re: Cold Weather/resistance of 14

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 20:22:49 +0000

On Wed, 06 Mar 2002 19:57:57 -0000, "epweissengruber" <epweissengruber_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>I am curious about Wulf's suggestion that the "Winter" has a 14
>resistance against my winter countermagic.
>
>It seems to be a correct interpretation of the rules, but it just
>seems wrong to me.
>
>Surely there is a difference between a mild winter (3W1) and deep
>winter (5W4) -- and that it is harder to resist the deep winter than
>the mild winter.

Avoiding direct rules implications, if the magic is specifically directed against winter, it has power over winter. Winter cannot properly resist, since it is mundane (most of it). the magic does NOT have such power over cold magic, cold daimones, cold showers or cold shoulders.

One argument here is whether this applies only to Theistic magic - is DIVINE power needed to so dominate the mundane, or just magic?

Personally I am greatly in favour of the magic vs 14 rule, it makes magic MAGICAL. Without this, using the standard resistances, Mile Javelin Throw just becomes Ranged Combat, Run Up Cliffs is just Climb, etc. Personally I limit this to mundane resistance though - I'd say animated skeletons count as magic, and get better than 14, but my solution to that IS a rules issue.

Wulf