Re: Carls, half carls and Gardeners

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 10:07:04 -0800

Peter M

> TR p44 says that about half the male population is available
> for the Fyrd. So if these are meant to be (mostly) carls and
> half carls than the rest of the male population would be cottars.

I think they're meant to be fit. The rest of the male population would consist in part of people too old or ill (or incapacitated from wounds).

It probably depends on chores, too (since the same page says that in serious cases "all able-bodied men and women" turn out. This suggests that those with important duties (like watching the clan's cows, rather than its cabbages) often don't show up, meaning that it's mostly the cottars who do show up.

In any case, cottars are explicitly required to be part of the fyrd [Thunder Rebels p.41].

Peter L

> The Heortling social thing is puzzling because it doesn't address
> women very well. Can a non-Vingan be a carl? What's the status of a carl's
> wife or children (before they are old enough to be Carls themselves). A son
> of a carl who is building his herd is a -- what? Carl? Half-carl?
> Carl-to-Be? Cotter?

I think that's because women have exactly the same sorts of status as men. Yes, non-Vingans are carls.

I think in most cases the entire family has the same status.

--

David Dunham   <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>