Re: Re: Carls, half carls and Gardeners

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 10:38:11 +0000

>In the best of worlds, would not the number of Carls at a stead
>depend on the amount of arable land available within range of the
>stead. The clan would obviously want as much land in production
>as possible. So is punishing a bloodline by removing or not
>allocating land self defeating? Would providing an oxen team and
>plough be a strain on clan resources.

I seem to remember a quote of around 50-75 square miles for a tula. Which means you can walk from one end of the tula to the other in two or three hours (assuming tulas aren't hugely long and thin...) I'd suggest most arable land (much of the tula won't be) will be in working range of two or three different steads. I'd be surprised if arable land close to the stead was ever farmed by another - say where others would need to travel three or four times as far to work it. In such a case, I'd expect the people to be removed from the stead, or have another carl placed over them. Land further out would be parceled out for political reasons.

I'd also be surprised - given the communal attitude Heortlings have to property - if the ox team and plough requirement were strictly enforced. More, a carl is someone who can turn up on the right day with an ox team and plough, even if they are 'borrowed' from his father/brother/friends. A cottar is someone the clan doesn't value enough to loan the cows to.

>Can anybody make a rough calculation as to the amount of land
>available around a stead?

Okay - assume half the larger size of tula above is available as arable land. Assume a dozen steads. That makes about 3 square miles per stead, or all the land within a one mile radius. Or about fifteen minutes brisk walk. (Idealising hugely here.)

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson