Re: Lhankhor Mhy book protection

From: bethexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 15:38:31 -0000

Im sure yu ar correct from wat I understand until comparativ elye modern times redeing was a generly more tortuous prosess yu mumbld the wurds as yu rede them and usually made mor than one pass of eche passage to figyur out its meneing of corse the lack of things that we take for granted like punktuashun capitalisashun paragraffs wurd brakes and standardized spell ing al make it hardr as do personl abbrv on top of that add in that moste lm wshprs hav probably only rede at moste a few hun dred works (if they aprnt at a major tmpl perhaps onlye dozens if they wer at a lesser tmpl) and yes redeing is far from a str ateforword activitye.

{Or, in more modern form:

I'm sure you are correct. From what I understand, until comparatively modern times, reading was a generally more tortuous process. You mumbled the words as you read them, and usually made more than one pass of each passage to figure out its meaning. Of course, the lack of things that we take for granted, like punctuation, capitalization, paragraphs, word breaks and standardized spelling all make it harder, as do personal abbreviations.. On top of that, add in that most LM worshippers have probably only read at most a few hundred works (if they apprenticed at a major temple, perhaps only dozens if they were at a lesser temple) and yes, reading is far from a straightforward activity. }

If you actually bothered to read the first paragraph, you probably didn't find it too hard, but bear in mind that you most likely have 20+ years of extensive reading experience, and you are dealing with neat characters not variable handwriting. Imagine the same thing, written on imperfect sheep hide, with ink that runs and pools somewhat, and think of your reading skill when you were about nine years old. That is about how I'd imagine it is for the typical LM worshipper.