Re: Trade Route of Dragonpass and Sea

From: bethexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 17:40:10 -0000

Note that the "hull speed" of a boat (the maximum speed it can go before it gets stopped by having to climb up its own bow wave) is a function of its hull length. I forget the precise relationship, but the longer, the faster. To exceed that speed you need to "plane" like power boats do. I doubt any Gloranthan ships are built to plane, so issues of wind strength, hull quality, etc aside, there is a maximum speed set by the length of the hull **. This is why those giant, clunky looking, cruise ships can actually move along surprisingly quickly.

Regards;

Bryan